Most of us don’t pay much attention to our roofs, whether that’s at our home or business. This, unfortunately, means that any degradation or problems can go unspotted, and we can often miss key signs telling us that it’s time for a replacement.
It’s worth bearing in mind that, just like a car or appliance, a roof will need to be replaced eventually. But exactly how can you tell when it’s time to replace a roof?
6 signs that it’s time to replace a roof
- Sagging: Visible sagging is a sure sign that your roof is struggling structurally. While it might seem like a purely cosmetic issue, it could actually be a warning of more serious problems. The best thing to do is get a professional to take a look and work out the cause of the sagging. It might be that an easy fix or a full roof replacement could be recommended. Either way, leaving a sagging roof unaddressed will only lead to the problem worsening over time.
- Water damage: Damp patches or mould formation may be a sign of something amiss with your roof. Of course, there are other explanations such as issues with windows or walls – but it’s always worth ruling out the roof as a possible cause.
- Leaks: Sometimes leaks can be strikingly obvious – other times they can go on without us realising, leading to the water damage described above. A structurally sound roof will not suffer from leaking, which begs the question that if your roof experiences its fair share, it could be time to get a brand new roof installed to futureproof (and waterproof) your assets.
- Light coming through: If spots or streaks of light are coming through to the interior of the building from outside, this is immediate proof that your roof has one or two gaps or holes that need to be addressed through repair. If there are multiple or repeated occurrences, a full replacement may be suggested instead.
- Mould and moss: Depending on the roofing material you have, mould and moss growth can eventually become an issue, leading to the deterioration of the roof and reduction in aesthetic value. Replacement with a metal roof can be a great alternative, especially if you own a commercial or industrial business, as metal is a hardy, robust material that is resistant to the growth of mould, amongst other things.
- It’s old: Sometimes a roof’s time just runs out. You may have even noticed several of the warning signs above that come along with ageing. And in the interests of keeping your building modern, safe and futureproof, the right answer is to replace it. Different roof materials have different expected lifespans, so consult with an expert to confirm yours.
Some of these signs you can spot yourself, though if you want professional insight into the state of your roof, you’ll need to get an expert on board.
But should you repair or replace it?
Only a professional can advise on whether repair or replacement is best, and this may also be dependent on how old the roof is – it may actually be more cost-effective in the long run for a total replacement of an old roof than continual repairs that see costs mount up.
Searching for commercial or industrial roofing from a specialist installer? Look no further than Prothos Roofing. We’re here to raise the standards of roofing across the UK, specialising in long-lasting roof design and installation for industrial clients. Find out more about replacing your roof by giving our expert surveyors a call today.
To upload drawings, specs and plans please go to the form on our contact page.Get in Touch